Since 1933

Our History

Patsy’s Pizzeria first opened its New York City location at 2287 1st Avenue in 1933, having been the dream of immigrant newlyweds Pasquale ‘Patsy’ and Carmella Lancieri. Patsy’s Pizzeria quickly established itself as a family style, old-fashioned neighborhood restaurant. Patsy’s Pizzeria catered to the growing population of Italian immigrants who longed for the cuisine of their homeland in a casual family style atmosphere.

Also attracted were New Yorkers who wished to taste the new culinary expertise of the Italian immigrants and their newly developed brick-oven pizza. Without a doubt, Patsy’s Pizzeria established itself as the originator and leader of the family style Pizzeria restaurant.

Almost immediately, the atmosphere, style and cuisine at Patsy’s Pizzeria began attracting many popular and famous personalities. Luminaries like Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Tony Bennett became regulars. In addition, its prime uptown location made it a convenient stop for famous Yankees such as Phil Rizzutto, Joe Dimaggio and Yogi Berra. Patsy Lancieri had developed a huge following and East Harlem was *the* place to go.

In the early 1970s, Patsy’s Pizzeria became the late-night haunt of Francis Ford Coppola who used its ambiance to shape his actor’s performances in his blockbuster film The Godfather. As a result, the restaurant has been used numerous times as a filming location and backdrop for many movies, employing many East Harlem residents in the process.

Throughout its long history, Patsy allowed his restaurant to be used by politicians to convey their respective messages to their constituents. In the early days of the depression, Patsy allowed Fiorello LaGuardia to hold his early organizational meetings at the restaurant , inviting neighborhood residents to stop in and contribute their ideas and support.